Reforestation in the Taunus: Weilsberg/Feldberg
We have a tree project in the Rhein-Main catchment area to protect the forests on Frankfurt’s doorstep.
Weilsberg: Afforestation on the Feldberg
The entire area around the large Feldberg is an important local recreation area for the population of the Rhine-Main area. It must be protected permanently. Reforestation is necessary because the former spruce stands that grew there were attacked by bark beetles and are now being replaced by climate-resilient mixed stands.
Feldberg afforestation details:
- Total size of the afforestation area: 2.3 hectares
- Location: Weilsberg, in the Feldberg District (division 2323)
- Responsible forest office: HessenForst, Forest Office, Königstein
- 15,000 sessile oaks, hornbeams, and copper beeches will be planted from spring 2022
Scope of work
- Preparation of the ground
- Seedling and its planting through professional tree planting staff
- Bite protection for the seedlings: either growth covers or a fence
- Forest care: keeping young trees free from nettles and blackberries, etc. so they don’t suffocate